Monday, January 8, 2007

Nerdcore Rising....of the Nerds.



Nerdcore Hip Hop. A seeming paradox, but to some of us, it's the flavor of choice for listening enjoyment. Yes, I myself have fallen (or have been raised up...how ever you choose to look at it) from the masses of popular music, and succumbed to the temptations of Nerdcore. And I must say, it's quite the fit.

I have a full hour commute, one way, every day for work. This isn't really that big of a deal, as I'm sure many many people in the world have AT LEAST a hour commute from their home, to their no-fun home (work). I'm not complaining mind you, having an hour before and after a grueling day of code-churning is kind of nice, gives me a chance to get fired up (thank you Red Bull) and then unwind for the evening.

The contemplation of the week, why for I have no clue, has been the Geek sub-culture and wither or not we deserve the stereotypes applied to us. One of the initial topics I thought about was exactly how big of a geek I am personally. I hardly consider myself a "geek" in the traditional sense of the word. I feel as though I'm fairly socially adjusted, and my personal hygiene is probably as good as the next. Beings I'm musically inclined, I've performed many times (in front of real people), and did my fair share of sowing of the "wild oats".

But there is a dark side I've discovered. For one, my music tastes. There's something awesome about hearing mention of topics close to my hearts in songs that gives me the tingles. All you have to do is mention code, frags, fps, etc and I'm hooked. One of my favorite songs now (which incidentally is not Nerdcore) is Code Monkey by Jonathan Coulton, because......well I guess because I am a code monkey.

Then there's my computers. I love computers and gadgets more than probably anything. I love playing with them tweeking them, breaking them. In fact if The Wife made an ultimatum, either her or the computers, I don't know which one I'd choose. A friend of mine actually commented once "I don't know anyone who has more computer problems than you. Are you sure you're a geek?" The answer, Yes I am. I just can't leave well enough alone. I always have to play, try new things / software. I have to see what happens if I tweek that multiplier just a little more to maybe pull a little more performance.

And then, in an incident that I probably will never live down (in fact I'm sure The Wife will lord it over my head for years....), I even turned down sex to "play with my computer". Apparently one night Princess Leah (once again, not her real name....to protect the innocent) made a promiscuous offer which I failed to close on. I don't even remember the incident, I was too busy configuring my dual monitors on my Linux box.

On an unrelated note Leah Culver did some laser etching on her MacBook. Hit up YouTube, I'm sure you can find it. I don't actually know who she is, but she's a geek. AND pleasing to the eyes? Unheard of.

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious-ly yours
~M.

No comments: